6 ways to avoid gaining weight just because you get “Hangry”
The scene looks like this. You’ve gone too long without eating and now you’re hungry and angry (Hangry) and need something to eat NOW.
So, you go to the fridge and take a quick look and the only food in the fridge would take at least 5 minutes or more to prepare and because you are so hungry you absolutely cannot spare 5 extra minutes between you and food, so you dramatically announce “OMG there is absolutely NOTHING to eat and I’m STARVING!” (or maybe it is just me who dramatically announces this…there is a small chance that not all of you are such drama queens when hangry….though I doubt it). Getting Hangry = Major Drama Queen.
So you move from the fridge, to the cabinet, to the chips, back to the fridge for the salsa, and binge eat on salsa and chips until you are full enough to even think about making something that might take some effort…
Been there before?
Yeah, clearly I’ve been there too…and it sucks. And when I consistently do that, it makes me gain weight, which makes me unhappy and unmotivated. I don’t function well when I binge on junk food and don’t eat healthy. I like feeling healthy because when I do I tend to be happier, more active, and everything in my life feels easier and more balanced.
That’s why Jonny and I have started doing things to set ourselves up for success when it comes to our eating habits. We know that if we allow ourselves to get to that “STARVING” period and don’t have healthy food around, we’ll likely end up eating all the chips and salsa and candy and anything else we can find to fill our bellies.
So here are some really simple tips that I want to share with you about what we have been doing to be healthier so we can be set up for success to avoid The Hangries.
- Throw out the bad food in your house and stop buying it at the grocery store. If you don’t have junk food around in the house – you won’t eat it and you will go for what is healthy. Plain and simple. This is the number one easiest trick – just don’t buy it and bring it home. If you don’t do any of the other tips – do this one….it works.
- Fill your body with healthy snacks throughout the day so that you don’t reach that starving point. What we have found that works is to prepare a week’s worth of healthy snacks. We do an assembly line, grab the nuts, seeds, carrots, celery, etc. and put them into individual baggies so that it is easy to just grab a snack bag and run. Fuel yourself with these healthy snacks throughout the day so that you aren’t tempted to buy a bag of chips or candy just because you are hungry.
- Crockpot – use them. Crockpots save so much time! Just be careful because many Crockpot recipes are unhealthy and incorporate a lot of cheese and cream in them. But don’t worry, there are plenty healthy recipes out there (such as these ones here).
- Leftovers – put them in individual serving sizes so that you can just take it and run. Putting it in a large container is just another step between you and food when you want to pack a lunch but are running out the door.
- Try out PGX – This is a supplement that we love. It’s a fiber supplement that regulates your blood sugar, expands in your stomach, and helps you feel fuller for longer. Promoted by Dr. Mark Hyman in his Blood Sugar Solution book (a book we love), we have found it to reduce our hunger and sugar/carb cravings a lot.
- Eat more protein – Protein is king when it comes to regulating your hunger. Try to fit lots of protein into your diet on a daily basis, and that will help to regulate your blood sugar, which will keep cravings down, and keep you full longer. Protein shakes in the morning or as a snack in the afternoon can help a lot in managing hunger and meeting your daily protein intake requirements.
Basically, what I’m saying here is that preparation is your most important weapon against the dreaded Hangries. Be prepared and you can give your body what it needs throughout the day so that it doesn’t get into crisis, panic, starving, give me food NOW or I’ll rip your head off mode. Not only will you be happier, but everyone else around you will thank you for it too.
Do you have any other ideas you want to share about how to keep the Hangries at bay? Need help in putting together a plan that can help you get and stay more prepared? Let me know and I’d be happy to help work together with you to find something that works for you and fits your lifestyle. Happy eating!